084: Signs (2002) | M. Night Shyamalan | Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Abigail Breslin | Alien Invasion
Premise: A family living on a farm finds mysterious crop circles in their fields which suggests something more frightening to come.
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 73%
This week, we also talked about:
- The Glass Castle
- The Transfiguration
- Halt and Catch Fire
Questions we ask:
- While a big alien invasion story can work, does an interpersonal small scale story stand supreme?
- How does this film play to Shyamalan’s strengths?
- Does this film bounce between sentimental and cheesy?
- Once again, is it possible to enjoy someone’s work when their character is later revealed to be less than stellar?
- Does the water reveal get cheapened by Shyamalan’s cameo?
Max is a marketing copywriter by day, filmmaker and screenwriter by night. He resides in Charlotte, NC, and loves his dogs, watching movies, building LEGO sets, and eating food. Lots of food.You can find Max at his personal website and twitter.