084: Signs (2002) | M. Night Shyamalan | Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Abigail Breslin | Alien Invasion
Maximilian Rivera October 30, 2017
Premise: A family living on a farm finds mysterious crop circles in their fields which suggests something more frightening to come.
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 73%
This week we’re talking about Signs (2002). We both genuinely enjoy this M. Night Shyamalan film, so talking about it is pretty fun. We look at this Spielbergian take on War of the Worlds, before Spielberg even made his own War of the Worlds. Signs stars Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Abigail Breslin, and Rory Culkin.
This week, we also talked about:
- The Glass Castle
- The Transfiguration
- Halt and Catch Fire
Questions we ask:
- While a big alien invasion story can work, does an interpersonal small scale story stand supreme?
- How does this film play to Shyamalan’s strengths?
- Does this film bounce between sentimental and cheesy?
- Once again, is it possible to enjoy someone’s work when their character is later revealed to be less than stellar?
- Does the water reveal get cheapened by Shyamalan’s cameo?