079: Swiss Army Man & mother!
Premise: A hopeless man stranded on a deserted island befriends a dead body and together they go on a surreal journey to get home.
RottenTomatoes Score: 69%
This week we go indie everyone; this is about as far off the beaten path as the podcast boys have gone thus far, and when we go indie we go indie. This is one of the most peculiar yet heart-warming and beautiful movies of 2016 and if you can get past the farts and the boners (they are all up in this flick), you just might learn something. To quote the creation team, “the first fart makes you laugh and the last fart makes you cry”
In this episode:
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Ken Burn’s The Vietnam War
- mother! (we spoil the whole thing)
- The “Turn Down for What” music video
Questions we ask:
- Is this movie too weird?
- Is Paul Dano a classic leading man?
- How does an intricately crafted soundtrack ingrained in a movie add to the total product?
- Does this movie benefit from exploiting and subverting existing ‘indie film’ cliches?
- Farts? Boners?
Max is a marketing copywriter by day, filmmaker and screenwriter by night. He resides in Charlotte, NC, and loves his dogs, watching movies, building LEGO sets, and eating food. Lots of food.You can find Max at his personal website and twitter.