071: Pretty Woman
Premise: A venture capitalist who is tired of relationships hires an escort for some social events, yet finds himself falling in love with her.
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 61%
In this episode, we discuss:
- Stranger Things, Season 1. We rewatched this and discuss how meaningful the season still is.
- Suspiria. I tried to watch it, but it just didn’t do it for me.
- Escorts, a Netflix documentary. In preparation for this episode, Jodi watched this documentary.
- Some other oddities on Netflix
- Heath Ledger’s validity
Questions we ask:
- How does this film hold up compared to other romcoms of the era?
- Is Vivian even a character or does she just fulfill a set of needs for Edward?
- Are there any movies that perform a reverse pygmalion story?
- How does this movie speak to gender roles in relationships?
- How could this film be made more interesting?
Max is a marketing copywriter by day, filmmaker and screenwriter by night. He resides in Charlotte, NC, and loves his dogs, watching movies, building LEGO sets, and eating food. Lots of food.You can find Max at his personal website and twitter.